You launch your rackspace ubuntu server:
- Install updates (accept grub package maintainers changes);
- Install apps;
- Configure some weird ruby on rails thing with RVM and the app actually works!!
- Make an image of the server using rackspace UI;
You can’t ping the server because it gets stuck at initramfs and can’t find any disks to boot from
The grub menu from the update messes things up.
Here is how you fix that:
I use vmware server, it’s brilliant. Here are some reasons to use it.
- Testing slipstreamed Windows disks (service packs and drivers);
- Configuring messy software like msSQL, without it crippling your computer;
- Recovering a backup image ghost/true image to recover some files/settings;
- Running almost any operating system and no dual boot mess;
- Preparing for and testing vpn, ssh, pki, deployment;
- Consolidating servers, have apache2 ubuntu, mssql xp, active directory 2003, all running on the same box. Centralize management and backup policies.